Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php on line 62

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 32

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 33

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/include/common.php:62) in /home4/mfoster/public_html/cb/forums/header.php on line 34
Cross-Browser.com / I'm ready for beta testers for pChat

Cross-Browser.com

X Library Forums

You are not logged in.

Announcement

New user registration is currently disabled.

#1 December 13, 2009 3:15:56 pm

DaveMorton
Website

I'm ready for beta testers for pChat

If anyone is willing to assist me with testing pChat, please let me know what times/dates you are available to do so, and I'll do my level best to have it open at that time, so that it can be properly tested (I HATE talking to myself! big_smile). Those who wish to independently test the chat room can do so at any time that is convenient for them. The page is at:

http://www.geekcavecreations.com/pChat/

The following features need to be tested in as many browsers/platforms as can be reasonably used:

1.) Text formatting ( Typical BBCode for BOLD, Italics and Underline - this will be added to the help page soon)
2.) Colors (see the help page, linked from the chat room)
3.) Emotes (see either the help page, as above, or click the Emotes link)
4.) Changing rooms while in the chat room
5.) Functionality of the PM Window and Debug Window (both move, using the xEnableDrag function) (and no, the login window isn't supposed to move)

I also need feedback on general layout, any features you may think need to be added, etc. Additionally, some pointers/suggestions/ideas regarding implementation of Private Messaging within the script are not only welcome, but likely to get some kudos on the site upon implementation.

Thanks in advance for the help. smile

Last edited by DaveMorton (December 13, 2009 3:50:14 pm)

Safe, Reliable Insanity, since 1961!
http://www.geekcavecreations.com

#2 December 15, 2009 12:04:02 am

DaveMorton
Website

Re: I'm ready for beta testers for pChat

I noticed that you were in the chat room for a while, Mike. I'm sorry I missed you. Had fambly stuff to attend to, I'm afraid.

As you've noticed, I don't have the links and images parsed yet, but when they become functional, they'll work as intended.

I'm also having a slight problem with the main chat panel not properly updating. You can log in, and the main panel updates, then it flashes back to "you are not logged in". I know this is because the loginStatus of the data object isn't being properly updated, I just can't find where it's not being set correctly. I think I'm losing it between the server and my ajaxPostEval function. The current workaround is to open the debug window, click on "Check Login Status", and then type something.

I'm also testing out a "room map" for switching rooms. It will be online in about 15 minutes or so, if anyone wishes to try it out.

I saw the request for a larger chat bar, and I agree with you. I think I'll also be re-arranging the layout of the entire lower section, to make it more user friendly, including the addition of formatting buttons for bold, italics, underline and strikethrough tags that will work just like the color swatches do.

So... What do you think, so far? I'm looking for kudos, of course (wouldn't anyone? big_smile), but more than that, I want to know what you would do to improve it, if this were your project. As Johnny 5 would say, "Innnnpuuuut!"

#3 December 16, 2009 1:00:15 am

DaveMorton
Website

Ok, the site has been updated, and the "footer" section that holds the chat bar has been re-arranged to provide a more user friendly layout. I also have the image parsing completed. Parsing the links is proving to be a lot harder, though. I'll probably have to find a RegEx guru to assist me on that one. the current function I have for that, along with being a 43 line monster that's uglier than the situation Tiger Woods is in now, also doesn't work. sad

Anyway, if anyone wishes to drop in and give the page a spin, feel free to do so. big_smile

[edit]
Bear in mind that if you have chat filtering turned on (that's the default setting, BTW) you won't be able to see the images created with the
[img] tag. Instead, you'll see (images filtered) in place of the posted image. This is by design. I'm working on making a series of three different filters instead of a single, all encompassing filter. Any thoughts on this approach are welcome.
[/edit]

Last edited by DaveMorton (December 16, 2009 1:03:56 am)

#4 December 16, 2009 7:06:36 pm

DaveMorton
Website

I've split up the filter into three distinct ones, and I'm going through alpha testing on my dev site at dmorton.no-ip.info/pchat/. There are now filters for chat, links and images. I've also placed active checkboxes in the left panel, to be able to toggle filtering on the fly. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep this feature, but for now, it's available (or, will be, once I'm done with alpha testing. smile)

Last edited by DaveMorton (December 16, 2009 7:07:07 pm)

#5 December 16, 2009 8:23:30 pm

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Just finished a big release of our pixel-server. Ahhhhh... smile
It now supports 64 bit UUIDs and uses about 3.5GB of RAM less than it did before. WooHoo!

pChat is looking great! Tried to login, got the following, but you may be working on it as I speak.

Error: cfLeftPanel is null
Source File: http://dmorton.no-ip.info/pchat/scripts/pChat.funcs.js
Line: 441

#6 December 16, 2009 10:20:07 pm

DaveMorton
Website

okies. I'll look into it. --- Fixed. Missed a name replacement.

Last edited by DaveMorton (December 16, 2009 11:19:18 pm)

#7 December 18, 2009 10:02:07 am

jimramos11

Hi!  I've been to the chatroom and I can say that it feels funny talking to yourself.  lol
Anyway, I will test it further and will give my comments/suggestions. Cheers!

Life Rocks -- Live on!

#8 December 18, 2009 10:18:30 am

MikeFoster
Administrator
Website

Hi jimramos11,

Welcome to the forums! smile

Board footer